"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Life, or something like it

I was talking/emailing with another blogger about the type of life stuff that shows up and makes things like doing a triathlon seem unimportant and possibly even stupid and selfish.

I have some of that type of life stuff going on. For the record, it definitely falls into the "this sucks ass" category, and yes, it is INFINITELY more important than getting my fat, slow, 40 year old ass across a full iron finish line, but I don't really feel like getting specific about it on the ol' blog.


But the question this brings up for me is, does that mean I should stop everything I do that is good for me and eat McDonald's McGriddles for breakfast every morning? (Umm... damn. That was a little too specific which makes it obvious that it is my current reality... *stuffs McDonald's bag under car seat with foot*)



Probably not.

The truth is that in my 40 years, and I suspect everyone's years, there have been plenty of times when my life was not exactly all sunshine, butterflies, and fat puppy bellies (couldn't you just die for fat puppy bellies?!)


And I have learned that I will survive it and that my life in the here and now is all that I have (well, I suppose someday I will not survive it, no one gets out of life alive, but that does not really change my point). Anyhoo, why then should I choose to make myself more miserable or forgo things or experiences that I want while I go through what is just life?

The short answer is, I shouldn't.

All of that cryptic mumbo jumbo is to say, life has thrown me some curves and I am dealing with them the best I can while trying to train for a silly triathlon in July. My priorities will be to myself, my family & friends, my work, and my training for the triathlon. In that order.

Whatever comes of that, will come of that.

I hope it culminates in a healthy, happy family cheering me across the Vineman finish line in the dead of night, but if all I get out of it is a healthy, happy family I am still the big winner and the luckiest girl I know.

Mandatory "Keep 'er honest" training report

Running

Piss poor this week. Some of my current "life issues" make running VERY uncomfortable right now and I have only been good for about 2 mile runs since last Friday. That will hopefully be better soon.

Biking

We did the Cinderella group ride on Saturday that climbed into Alum Rock park and that went well. I did pretty good up the hills in the compact double. I did not fall over, nor did I text obscenities to my husband from the top of the climb, so that has to be a good sign right?

Swimming

You are apparently not allowed to swim within 24 hours of consuming McGriddles. *shrugs* You know me, I am no rule breaker.... so , yeah, no swimming this week.

I know, I know. I will be better.

26 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Great post. Sounds like your priorites are perfectly placed in proper order.

Diana said...

"stuffs bag under seat with foot".....OMG, how many of us have totally been there! May not have been with McDonald's, but it was something we knew we shouldn't be consuming!!!
Hope all goes well, glad to hear you're the one on the front burner-without that, the rest would never happen!
Nothing but good vibes coming your way!!

Carly said...

You had to go and post that photo of a McGriddle.....thanks now I can't stock thinking about it.

Hope things work themselves out soon.

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh out loud...to the point where I had to read your post to others in the room. It sounds like you are having a rough time now...and damn, doesn't it suck when life gets in the way. I've never been good at moving forward in a healthy way. My first stop had ALWAYS been the McDonalds drive through. But stay strong ~ don't let your body go to shit just because your mind and heart have already done so. Better days are coming...I promise!

SteveQ said...

A rare serious comment from me! It's hard to say just how personal one should get with a blog. I have two blogging friends who got divorced last year; one never mentioned it and the other just stopped blogging. I know a few who had cancer scares; one detailed everything, others mentioned it in passing, one created a separate blog that was invitationonly.

I've been going through some rough times lately and have been non-specific, due to concerns of Big Brother watching.

Hang in there. We're all pulling for you.

Regina said...

Whatever is going on I hope it works itself out for you and you find the right balance to keep yourself happy and healthy.. By the sound of it, you've got your priorities in line.

Not McGriddles for me, but stupid 99¢ cheesburgers...why?

'Drea said...

Way to put things into perspective...

Sheryl said...

Sorry to hear about life's suckiness =( Your priorities sound like they are perfectly in line. Hope things get better!

IronWaddler said...

Sorry that life sucks currently but you personality will allow you to perserve. Take care.

Southbaygirl said...

i've never had a McGriddle...what do they taste like? it has meat in it doesn't it???

I hope things are ok!! And if you need ANYTHING please don't hesitate to call, email whatever!! I am here if you need a voice on the other end of the phone!!!

COTY said...

hang in there

On The Road... said...

Sometimes we need a break to let life happen. You'll be back -- you've accomplished so much (and been an inspiration). Don't worry.

Christina said...

This product has been a HUGE HIT for marathon runners-thought I'd share!

http://www.youtube.com/nurichegoodness#p/u/15/OSuplzv56Ys

www.NuricheWell.com

I'd love to get your thoughts!

Jo Lynn said...

Hmmm. Sounds a lot like my life right now. I have some shit going on that makes me want to climb into a hole (or worse). I am second guessing ANY triathlon this year, thinking of the training that I'd have to do. Every day my head spins more and more with confused thoughts.
Hang in there. I was hoping we could get together for a ride this weekend (today). I must have felt something that made me think of you a couple of days ago. ;)

ShirleyPerly said...

Ooh, pink puppy bellies! How long has it been since I've rubbed one?

Glad to hear you've got your priorities in the right order. Life sucks sometimes but it's the only one we got.

Lindsay said...

that's how priorities should be, in my opinion! well, i'd probably switch training and work ;)

ok read that as "vietnam finish line" and i thought WHAT? VIETNAM when did she sign up for that? but then i corrected myself...

i hope your non-tri issues are getting better. sometimes those curveballs life throws us suck. they're stressful or draining (emotionally or physically) and just not very fun. hang in there and don't keep it bottled in. talk it out with friends/family and take it out on swimming!

Kelly said...

Sorry for your sucky life right now. I'm not sure what I can do to help but if you need anything, let me know.

I don't have cute puppy bellies to send you but I've got cute 8 month old belly pics if you need one :-)

Oh, you could always come out and vist us and do Rage. Surely that would make anything seem less sucky!!

Alisa said...

Sorry to hear about your personal issue. Unfortunately, it happens. Sometimes, depending on the issue, training can help take your mind off of it.

Aileen said...

You've gotta do what you've gotta do, and it's important to take care of your life first. Sometimes that's a good thing, especially when we get too wrapped up in racing! Sending positive thoughts/prayers/whatever your way!!!

Unknown said...

Stacy, you are back!! I am so happy. I am thinking of doing vineman!! Call me. I miss you. Claire (831) 713-7322

Big Blue said...

Great Post! Just found the blog and was hooked after the quote at the top and the "Run, Bitch, Run" story. Absolutely hilarious.

I just signed up for my first marathon and am going to start documenting it as well. Happy Running!

Keep Smilin'

Tom
www.thomasburkeiv.com

(PS - I love McGriddles)

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

While I have never met you, from what I have read on your blog I know that you are a strong person and that you will get through the current curve balls life is throwing your way. You are resilient and you have your priorities straight.

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Sorry things are not so great of late (I know the feeling). I find that the training (or whatever it is I do that passes for training) helps me cope with the other crap. That's if the body cooperates, which it doesn't always. Anyway, good luck and lean on your friends!


Cynthia

SWTrigal said...

Life happens..I am realizing that myself this week. Hang in there...sometimes training helps..

Aka Alice said...

Family and friends are always first.

Hang in there girl. It'll be spring break soon and everything looks brighter after spring break :-)

Carolina John said...

sounds like you got your shit handed to you, then got it all straightened out. i could use a bit of that mojo right about now.