"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Friday, July 23, 2010

Repeat After Me...

RBR, repeat after me:

Cake will not cure emotional pain.

No, not even red velvet cake, which admittedly has magical powers.

*sigh*

Somewhat random, but it is where I am at these days. Moving on...


Belated Race Report: Dirty Legs Summer Trail Run 10k - July 18, 2010 Aptos, CA

Last Sunday I had the esteemed pleasure of running once again with Ms. Speedy McSpeederton, aka Katie A.

We chose to do the 10k, so that I did not bore the snot out of her again for 3 and half hours like when we did the Bear Creek half mary trail run a couple of weeks ago. Plus we both were running the San Francisco Marathon this weekend and . (She is running the half and, I am certain, will set some sort of land speed record, and I, in my INFINITE wisdom, am going to do the full. Yeah, we will see how that goes.)

Details:

Total Distance:
6.6 miles
Total Climb: 1879 ft.
Total Time: 1:25:25

My pictures are few, and pretty sucky because 1. I was laughing manically with Katie the whole time. She is a hoot! and 2. I actually ran this thing instead of my usual racing style which consists of lots of screwing around, occasionally interrupted by actual running. (Please note: that I still had a 13:01/mile pace, which only confirms my assertion that I might as well fuck around and have fun when I run because even when I try I am still slower than slug snot.)

Katie on the downhill. I am feverishly trying to keep up, hence the blur. Or you can interpret it as my excessive speed while running blurring the shot. As an artist, I can not dictate how you react to my work.

The run was in the Forest of Nisene Marks, which is one of my favorite places to run. It is beautiful and has lots of the spongy, redwood single track that I LOVE.

Katie and me on a bridge in the Forest.


But don't you worry there was plenty of climb. 1879 ft of it, to be exact.

Other than the blackberry bramble that was slicing at Katie's legs as we ran by, which caused her to sag her shorts and run all gangsta' style (I have a picture, but I would have to start charging a membership fee to the blog if I start posting pictures like that *fans self*), it was a pretty trouble free run.

I still do not know why she runs with me when I am slower than her by almost a factor of 2, but I am sure glad she does because we always have a lot of fun!

SF Marathon

San Francisco Marathon is tomorrow. I also turn 41 tomorrow. I don't really freak out about age. Aging is significantly better than the alternative, which is death. And if you think about it even in death you age, just a lot more dramatically. You think crows feet and cellulite are bad, they beat the hell out of full scale decomp. And smell decidedly better.

I am a bit concerned about the dearth of road running I have done to prepare for this road marathon. That may come back to bite me in the ass. Again, no pictures as that would fall under the necessitating a membership fee category.

Ok, Queen 'Random Shit' is done for the day.

19 comments:

Pahla said...

Happy Birthday and Happy Marathoning tomorrow!!

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Good luck tomorrow! You've been doing consistent training and will PR. :)

Happy Birthday too. I've decided I'm getting too old for birthdays.

Cynthia

Tina Mickelson said...

happy birthday! have a great race and RBR yourself right into a PR!

Anne said...

Happy Birthday! Good luck tomorrow...enjoy your marathon!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

41? Happy birthday, zygote! So young ... you probably still remember your Mama's womb!

Those of us who read your blog? We know why Katie A. runs with you! Because you're funny and a sweetheart and a person can run fast anytime but to run with RBR? That chance doesn't come about all the time, and maybe for some of us it'll never happen, so if you're asking us to feel bad for Katie A.?

Not gonna happen, sister.

Ask us to feel envious of her. Then you'll get some takers.

Jo Lynn said...

Not everybody runs every "race" for a great clock time. The great company is usually more important. I know, to me it is. ;)

Unknown said...

happy birthday! knew there was something i liked about you - you're a leo! it shows - you have good hair and well and opinionated personality (tell it like it is and .... the rest!). enjoy your race!

Turbo Photographs said...

Happy Birthday! SF Marathon is one of my faves. I ran my best marathon time there. I'm sure the course has changed since I ran it in 97, but that hill at Haight St brings back memories.

Have fun :)

Diana said...

Just like my extremely SLOW ass, you're still doing the things that others can only dream they could do!
Happy Birthday and Good Luck on the 26.2-looking forward to the report!

SteveQ said...

You share my brother Tom's B-day (though he's 14 years older), so now I'll never remember either birthday again! Had I known, I might've done the SF marathon - though I'm having trouble going half that far right now.

Best of luck, birthday girl!

SteveQ said...

Red Velvet Cake is just carbo-loading, btw.

SteveQ said...

wait wait wait... On the 23rd, you said that tomorrow is your birthday and the SF marathon. The marathon's on the 25th. Are you so slow they gave you an extra day?

Bootchez said...

"I might as well fuck around and have fun when I run because even when I try I am still slower than slug snot"

This. Right here. Is my ENTIRE running philosophy. Wow!

Happy Birthday Happy Marathon Happy!

Indi said...

Happy belated birthday and Hope SF was an awesome birthday present :)

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Happy Belated Birthday. I hope you had fun in San Fran.

Regina said...

First off, red velvet cake has infinite magical powers, nuf said.

Secondly, Happy freakin' birthday woman!!

Thirdly, you made me feel a whole hell of a lot better about being 43; all that talk of scalp decomp is enough to brighten anyone's outlook on aging.

S. Baboo said...

Happy B-day! Now let's have that race report.

Katie A. said...

LOVE the race report :) I run with you because we have so much fun together! You are a good friend :)
Hope you plan on joining me on the 8th!!!
Happy Birthday again!!!! <3

Lindsay said...

happy belated birthday!! i am sorry i missed it in a timely fashion :) hope sfm went well...???