"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ride Report: Solvang Metric Century - November 15, 2008

Ride Report: Solvang Metric Century - November 15, 2008


I survived my first organized, and longest distance, bike ride. It was tough, but I am very glad I did it for several reasons:

1. It showed me how far I have to go to get ready for IMCdA.

Long rides EVERY weekend from here on out. I can always get my long run in, but I bail all too frequently on the long ride.

2. It proved to me that I am stronger on the bike than I thought.

I did the first 45 miles without using my granny gear. By the time I hit the second big climb, my quads were pretty fried and I was tired, so I had to go into the granny gear and had to stop a few times on the hill. I stood there panting in the shade with MANY other riders. The heat got up to 90 degrees, so we hopped from tiny shade spot to tiny shade spot up the 3 mile hill. On the extremely indelicate side, I was also surprised that my ass and *ahem* other parts held up much better than expected.

Elevation Chart for the ride. It was 65 miles, not 71. I forgot to turn off my Garmin and it tracked our drive back to the hotel. It also says that it took me 12 hours to complete the ride, since it kept counting until it ran out of battery.


3. It reminded me how much I LOVE my LA Run Buddy!

Getting ready to head out!



Pretty central California views. This is my first attempt at pictures from the bike.



Picture of LA Run buddy. This is not as easy as you would think.



The self portrait wasn't any easier, nor very flattering.



This is Molly. She was the official greeter at the first rest stop (around Mile 19/20). This picture was granted at the price of one Oreo cookie and a belly rub. Dogs are so cheap. I would have held out for at least two Oreo cookies and a belly rub.



At the second rest stop (Mile 31ish) after the first big climb. We are feeling pretty proud of ourselves.





















Miles 35-45 were a long, slow, painfully boring stretch on a straight highway. I attempted to hold the camera over my head and take pictures of LA Run Buddy behind me. Most were
WILDLY unsuccessful.



Finally. Here she is wrestling with the ride sheet. We thought it better that she navigate since I SUCK at it and had lost a contact lens that morning.



LA Run Buddy at the Utopian Rest stop at Mile 45. It was a little tough to leave this
beautiful, food filled aide station when less than 50 feet out of the rest stop you started the
worst climb of the ride.


The only thing worse than the climb from Miles 45 to 48 was the hellish descent. The road was super steep, cracked, pitted and riddled with cavernous pot holes just begging to fold your front tire into a pretzel. I have never swore so much on my bike. And that is saying A LOT because, believe me, I have sworn A LOT on the bike.

I honestly don't know how the guys handled it. They must have spent an hour after the ride trying to dislodge their testicles from their liver.


On our way back into town, we passed Ostrichland! Unfortunately, the birds were
WAY out in the pasture, but I think you can see them.




Still smiling at the end. Always a good sign.
We had a great ride. It was tough, but I think we both held up pretty well.

We will be back in March for the full 100 miles!



15 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job! I did a metric century this year that *was* 71 miles long. This report gets me itching to do another bike event.

Go Mom Go said...

Hooray!

Just keep building up, you are so going to ROCK CdA!

It would be nice if we had some of that warmth here...they are calling for snow flurries today! UGH!

Angela said...

You are awesome! You never cease to inspire me with all you've been through. Just thought I'd stop by and say hi!

ShirleyPerly said...

I have had very little luck taking good pictures while moving on a bike. I don't know how the hell my husband does it. Yours look much better than mine.

Great ride and ride report!

Jane said...

yay! I'm glad you did this. More time in the saddle to come. Eeep - we're doing CdA together!
I want dogs at my aid stations!!!
Tobes says hi.

Stef0115 said...

Where did that heat come from??? Great report and pics as usual. This sounds like a fun ride except for that descent . . . I'd have been swearing like a sailor -- oh wait, I AM a sailor.

Klassenator said...

CONGRATS! It seems like overall it turned out well. Let me know if you need someone to push you on the bike (you only made a deal with me for a trail run ;)

Formulaic said...

Great ride! Way to go out there.

I am actually planning on doing the Solvang Century too.

So we'll see you out there!

Thanks for the report

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

I knew you could do it!

Calyx Meredith said...

Excellent! I'm jealous of your sunshine (as I type with shivering fingers). You have gotten so strong on your bike! You have PLENTY of time to be ready for IMCdA - especially if you don't bail on your long rides. :D

Anonymous said...

I'm one to bail on the long ride before I would a long run, too...unless I'm training for an event. Way to go with this long ride - you're getting really strong on the bike!!

You always take great pics :-)

JenZen said...

What a fun day!! GREAT ride!! And yes, dogs are SUCH hos. Mine will do anything for a treat. I'm working on teaching them to play hard to get. It's not working.

Aka Alice said...

Your self-portraits always look great. I always end up looking like I have three chins.

Nice bike ride.

Lisa T said...

Yay- looks like you had a blast. I want to do it just to see an ostrich!

Anonymous said...

Nice work to both of you. Love the smiley faces...