"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Monday, October 25, 2010

Race Report: Tarantula Run - Trail Half Marathon October 23, 2010

The real reason I ran this race

Cutest logo, EVER!

Dirty Details


Total Distance: 12.2 miles (that will make the next line of this a little shittier to type)

Total Time: 2:45:19 (errr.. yeah, so that would NOT be a PR. Even on a course that was short by almost a mile)

Number of gopher holes Ron fell in: 1 (This was not even during the race. It was before we even started running. Made me snort with laughter)

Pre Race

Ron and I decided to run this together after he unabashedly dropped my ass at the start line of not one, but two prior races. Then Katie called me this week and said that she was going to volunteer and wanted to know if I wanted to carpool.

Ummm, ... hells yeah!

Katie, Cutest Volunteer of 2010

The Tarantula Run is put on by the Contra Costa Water District (CCWD) and the employees of the water district make up the vast majority of the volunteers. This is the 5th annual race and I will tell you it is a well run, down home, SUPER friendly race. It runs in the open space of the Los Vaqueros Reservoir and Watershed. It was a beautiful, but challenging course.

Run profile. I have my own, but this one is too damn cute! Whoever does the graphics for CCWD is a freakin' genius!


Trail Map for the Run. Kudos again to the graphic artist!


RBR Obligatory Race dog photo. So cute!

Run

There was an arch for the start, but for some reason that we were not privy to, we did not start there. *shrugs* The field was small. I would guess there were less than 40 runners in the half marathon. I looked around and saw that there would be a distinct possibility that I would be last. (I know, "You need a crystal ball for that prediction, Captain Obvious?" )

Pretty pond along the trail

The run was predominately along cattle roads and we had been warned that we may encounter sheep or cows along the run. I loves me some sheeps and cows, but we did not see one stinkin' cow or sheep. Another thing we did not see one of today at the Tarantula run were tarantulas.

The only tarantulas I would see today. I am not a spider fan, but it was a tad disappointing since one of my objectives of this race was to skeeve out Lindsay. (Note: Not my calves. Taken and posted completely without permission. My bad)


I will bring back this classic, from the Mt. Diablo 1/2 with JoLynn. I know she will probably give me another "forget you!" for this picture. Such a potty mouth that Lindsay.

Soon we hit the 3 mile mark and climbed the 1000 ft dam.

Ron on the big climb being as supportive as the day is long. Which, interestingly enough, it how long it took me to climb that fucking dam.

See that face? I know it looks like a 'What the fuck is wrong with you? Get moving!' face, but he really wanted to be on the trail with me as long as possible. At least that is what I kept telling myself.

Four miles in, at the top of the dam, I decided Ron needed the full RBR experience (shut up, G) and we took some true badass runner style photos.

The view was lovely. Well, the part that is not eclipsed by my huge ass. *sigh*
Rawr! Sorry ladies, he is taken!

Let's just say our conversations and humor style are "not for everyone" but we laughed our way through the miles.

Ron is having his gait analyzed next week. Should be an interesting report. :)

After 2 hours and 45 minutes of hilarity, we finished the run laughing, smiling, and feeling strong.

The Finish

Katie was there at the finish line to cheer us in. She had braved the rain and her own cold to come out and help with race and cheer us on. Such a doll, that one! We had a great ride up and back and I always enjoy when we get to spend time together.

Katie and RBR post race

I had a great time. Ron is hilarious and fun and every time I see him he makes me laugh until my sides hurt. Thanks, man for a great run.

24 comments:

BrianFlash said...

A mile short?! You must have skipped a switchback :)

Christi said...

Great job and great photos!

Unknown said...

i thought that lake and climb looked familiar. ran into some cows there a while back. no spiders, but lots of stupid cows.

love the shirt...wish i'd run that just for the gear.

if you ever end up at a trail race in so cal again, let me know and i'll show up to leave you at the start too!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

MOTHER-F*CKIN' FIRST!1! (Which is how we say "Fourth" in Joisey.)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Number of gopher holes Ron fell in: 1 (This was not even during the race. It was before we even started running. Made me snort with laughter and somewhat abrogated the aforementioned slowness mocking.)

This would have been funnier if you had pointed out that Ron himself is not a gopher, which I assume he's not, but how would I know, is the point.

Clarification opportunity FAIL.

kelly4482 said...

You are correct, that race shirt logo is fantastic; worth the dam (or is that damn) climb? The jury is out.
Kudos on your super fantastic running top, tres chic.

Katie A. said...

Such a blast with you lady! And if you read my blog, I tell everyone your ass is smokin'! Hahaha! You're such a trooper for putting up with Ron, that guy can be a bit much!
So glad we got to hang out together, we must do it again soon!

Tina Mickelson said...

That is so NOT a fat ass by the way. BUT I'm still jealous of all these trail races you're doing in my old stomping grounds!!! Someday I'll run (behind you) one and you won't have to worry about being last. Forgive me for saying that in EVERY comment I make on your post. LOL

Indi said...

yeay..would have totally done it for the logo :) awesome and so unique. Love the trail, great and funny pics! That is quite a rise up!!
last time it took me just as long to finish 10miles...main thing is the finish!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Hey, are those fuzzy dice hanging from your rear view mirror or Ron's testicles!

Hahahahahahaha!

So few men have cube-shaped testicles, but maybe it's different for gophers. How would I know? I'm not the biology teacher here.

I think mine must be shaped like Jebus because when Teh Ladies see them they always go: O my god! O, My God! O, MY GOD!!1!

funderson said...

That man is a spaz..I love it!

Jo Lynn said...

When you met my daughter, she told me you were going to run this because "the logo is a tarantula with running shoes on."
Good job girl. ;)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Gopher Hole?

Well I was close personal friends with Fred "Gopher" Grandy, former congress critter and former star of The Love Boat, so don't expect ME to be impressed with the fact that YOU saw a gopher hole, you poseur!

Where do you GET OFF talking about gopher holes when I am obviously the expert on all things gopher around here!?!1?

BACK OFF, B*tch!

Formulaic said...

2:45 for 12.5?? That's nothing!!

Try to go 6:45 for 15 miles! Now that my friend is a record!!

Nice job out there. But what did the finisher swag look like?

Bootchez said...

I hope that I, as a woman (indeed, a woman in possession of her OWN large-ish ass), may comment upon the size of your ass, should the need arise. I dont know why I want the option to do so, but I do. The relative size and questionable usefulness of MY ass, certainly, is up for discussion.

Julie said...

Your posts never fail to make me laugh. Thanks!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Sounds like a great run, and good times. Love the pictures. I have to disagree on the logo, though. A smiling tarantula with running shoes is weird.

Aka Alice said...

Really? You wanna comment on the size of your ass?

What ass?

Sounds like fun. One day we will trail run together, even if I do think it is a bat-shit-crazy thing to do (what, with the bugs and all)

PunkRockRunner said...

My favorite race EVER. I have never had so much fun.

I really liked the original draft of the race report (btw).

You rock!!

Ron

Lindsay said...

Why thanks!! I am so honored to have been mentioned twice and to have been one of the forms of inspiration for this race. The cartoon version was acceptable, I even almost liked it.

I can't wait to be featured in an RBR recap one day like Ron. Especially if you coerce me into a trail run and we see snakes or spiders and you have video footage of me flipping out.

Don't hate on my potty mouth!

Ewa said...

You guys are a riot. What a fun race that was and only because of your wonderful attitude.
That logo is great! Good reason to run a race.

SteveQ said...

Anyone who paints spiders on their calves expects to have people take pictures, so you're okay, morally. The same goes for teenage girls in low-cut blouses, by the way; feel free to post photos of them too.

S. Baboo said...

Ok, I admit to not having read your report because I just wanted to come comment on how pissed I am not to have done a race with that logo. Now that I have that out of my system I will go read.

S. Baboo said...

Good report. There are plenty of cows to spare at the Devil Mountain 50K in Pagosa Springs, CO. So many in fact that one herd will eat the course markings while the other herd is trying to trample your ass. We also have a sprint triathlon out here called the Bottomless triathlon...plenty of trantulas...plenty.