"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Race Report: Silicon Valley Turkey Trot 10K November 27, 2008

I was supposed to run this with my dad, but Thanksgiving dinner obligations kept him from joining me (read: Mom was pissed he was skipping out to go run instead of helping.) No one wants an unhappy Mom and since I have a smaller role in the preparation of the meal (read: I do jack shit for the dinner and bring a store bought pie for dessert every year) I had no room to complain.

I thought I would be solo in this one, but ...


My Run Buddy decided to join me and do the 5K!! Yay!

It was really crowded but I felt pretty good, so I tried to keep a good pace. This is only my second 10K and the first one was done for fun with friends. One of my goals had been to run a 10K at a 10 min per mile pace and today I succeeded!


Total time 1:02:30 a 9:58 min/mile! Woo Hoo! After running 24 miles in the redwoods on Sunday I really thought this was a pipe dream, but lookie there I did it!

After the race we ran into my friend from State. She had run the 10K in 50 minutes.


Whatever, she is freaking 22! When I was 22...

hmmm.... let's see... when I was 22 I was chain smoking cigarettes and barely had the wherewithal to leave the couch to get another Snickers bar.

Ok, bad example.



Thanksgiving

Today I want to give thanks for all the things I am grateful for in my life, but honestly the list is overwhelming. Great! There is ANOTHER damn thing I am grateful for, an overwhelming list of things I am grateful for.

I spent many years of my life clinically depressed and unable to feel gratitude or happiness. Now, I am awed daily by the undeserved bounty of my life. Here is my incomplete list: (in pictures of course!)

1. My family:




The people that know the real you, not just the pretty package you present to the world, and love you anyway.


My husband has been at my side for the worst of the worst and the best of the best. He has stayed when lesser men would have run away screaming. In my wild swings from one extreme to the other he represents my 'middle', my safety. It doesn't sound very 'girl power', but nothing I have accomplished would have been possible without him. I am stronger and better for knowing and loving him.

































My animal family remind me daily that whatever my current crisis or deadline, it just isn't that fucking important. They love me just as much at 130 pounds as 160. They love me just as much with a college degree as without, whether I PR a race or sit on my big ass eating Ho-Ho's. They just love me and I thank the stars above everyday for each and every one of them.



My friends: which I feel close enough to call family. I didn't think I was capable of having friends like this. I am without words for how happy they make me.

The Blogland community of friends. This is another area I am overwhelmed with gratitude for. I have met and virtually 'met' so many amazing people through this journal. A journal I just started to shed a few pounds, but it gave me so much more.

I have a post in my mind that I want to do, but I will have to wait I have to go into work today, but I just want to say thank you. Truly, thank you for all the love and support you have given me over this last year.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy (day after) Thanksgiving.

Good job on your 10K too!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome 10K girl!!

But, mostly, I really enjoyed your gratitude list :-) That made me smile.

Stef0115 said...

I believe there is a ton of girl power in picking the right partner, since there are so many scumbags out there.

Great list and great 10k. You are a less than 10 minute mile girl for sure. I'm going to think of you when I'm running my next 10k.

Diana said...

Love your blog! Great pics of family and love the cats!

Klassenator said...

Congrats on your 10k time! I see a single digit for a per mile time:).

And you are right, don't worry about the other people's times, look at how well you did yourself;).

ACK on that picture is all I have to say....

Klassenator said...

P.S.

I liked your thankful list....

I will have you know my list would include me being thankful for having you in my life:)

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on your 10K! One of these days I need to run a 10K (outside of a tri), just to say I've done one.

And love the photos of your family and list of things to be thankful for. So true.

Calyx Meredith said...

I'm with Stef in thinking that it takes fantastic girl power to pick the right partner (or partners in some cases ;D). Thanks for sharing your list, your great races (woo hoo for the 10K!!), and your blog with us!

Lou said...

You are running sub-10 minute miles?!?!?! We are sooooo not friends any more.

Just kidding, we're totally friends.

And your black cats remind me of spaghetti cat from The Soup, which is totally hilarious:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catdogpigduck/2777256851/