"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Race Report : San Juan Mission 10 Miler and first 2-Run day


San Juan Mission 10 Miler (1:43:19) 10:20 min/mile pace. HOLY COW!
Today was the 25th anniversary of the he Hollister Rotary Club Mission 5K and 10 Miler. My run buddy is sick and canceled on me for this morning so I decided, what the hell! I will go to San Juan and do the 10 miler in the rain vs. running by myself in the rain. Fortunately, despite the forecast, the weather was GORGEOUS, not a drop of rain and perfect running temp of 52-55 degrees.

My race kit is pictured to the left. Race t-shirt, red number (oops! 10 milers were supposed to be wearing blue), RBR bag with my new green Marmot Rain proof run jacket. Then, barely visible under the t-shirt is my run belt equipped with iPod, camera, water, pouch with Gu, sport beans and Kleenex. The belt is shown perched atop the box of lab reports I should be grading instead of doing this race, but oh well! In back is my cooler with ice packs for my knees post race.

I was nervous about going to the race by myself, but I went. I felt a little self conscious and promptly accidentally registered for the 5 k instead of the 10 miler. I was a little over an hour early, but I didn't realize that I had the wrong color number until about 20 minutes before the 10 Miler start. They tried to fix it for me, but I ran with the wrong color number (this made for confusion at the finish line chute when they kept trying to get me to run into the 5K chute) Therefore, you may see me listed on the site with a 1 hour 43 minute 5K. So please, when your friends point and laugh, say "I know her, she actually did the 10 miler. She's slow, but not that slow".


The race was very small (many said much smaller than previous years, which I am sure was due to the weather forecast which called for cold, heavy rain and gusting winds) but well organized and very friendly. The Rotary Members running the check in were funny and sweet. The course was a predominately flat, out and back with one small loop in the return. There was one "significant" hill that was about 1.4 mile long, but had several places it leveled off to give you a break, so all in all a pretty easy course. They closed the roads so you were able to avoid the sloped sides of the road, which my knee appreciated. The farmland was a beautiful backdrop. I will definitely do this run again.


Exercise (2-Run day)

First Run: San Juan Mission 10 Miler (1:43:19)
run 10 miles ( 10:20 min/mile pace. Holy Cow! WAY faster than I expected)
HR monitor: Total calories burned (1110 cal)

Second Run: Treadmill (54:43)
run 5 miles (10:56 min/mile pace)
HR monitor: Total calories burned (559 cal)

I was concerned that this second run would seriously suck. My legs were a little confused at first, like "hey, we did this already today", but I took it a little slower than usual and I felt pretty good for the whole run. Tomorrow I will swim. I am doing another small swim to get back into it. 500 yds. (20 lengths) this time.

Food
Breakfast
JC French Toast/coffee (250 cal)
Snack
none (0 cal)
Lunch
Chevy's with Mom: Chicken Fajitas/diet coke (1200 cal)
Snack(s)
banana (70 cal)
Dinner
JC Chicken Carbonara (270 cal)
Snack
Yogurt & 1/4 c. cereal (150 cal)

Total calories in: 1940 cal
Total calories burned from exercise: 1669 cal

5 comments:

Southbaygirl said...

I am getting down on my knees and bowing to the RBR goddess!!! WOW-knew you could do it!

Shelley said...

Dang, girl! You are awesome!! Check you out!! Your motivation, your determination, your ambition! You just blow me away.
Hugs!
Shelley

Southbaygirl said...

Love the Penguins!

Southbaygirl said...

The weather gods were definitely shining down on us this weekend-thank god because i really wasn't in the mood to get wet-even though I love running in the rain-but heh the joy of living in california it doesn't rain here much! ha!

As for tearing it up in nashville-it's going to be so much fun racing again! I've missed it SO MUCH! I realized today how much I had missed racing and running and how the 2 year relationship with the a-hole had taken away my running!!!

I LOVE Running and now I have it back and it puts the biggest smile on my face! I don't even care if I'm slow! I'm a slow happy runner! And I think I will do SF! I LOVE SF!
Penny

Tracy said...

Kickin' pavement and takin' names . Yeah, buddy! The pictures finally showed up! (I even came back to check!).

Proud of ya,

~ Tracy