"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

PSA Motion Sickness medication

Ok, I am partially back from the dead. I told you had some, umm... issues, with motion sickness and the beloved vomit comet, right? Well, I subsequently had to take my motion sickness medication (Scopalamine patches) everyday for 2 weeks because I replaced the patch every other day to prepare for upcoming flights. I have never taken it this long because I usually only need it for a boat ride or flight and them I am good. Our last stop in Africa I took off the patch and was going to leave it off for 2 days then put a new one one the night before my flight.

I am posting cheetah pictures to give SOMETHING at least mildly interesting in this post

After the patch had been off for about 12 hours I started to feel dizzy and nauseous and after a short car ride I was violently ill. My mother had a experience with the patches years ago and was so sick my dad had me coming home from school at lunch to check on her as she waited out this detox. I suspected I was detoxing off the patch and replaced the patch I felt better in about 8 hours. I decided to keep it on as I would rather be sick at home than in Africa and while trying to travel 38 hours home. Fearing this detox reaction, I decided to try to wean myself off the patches by cutting them.

"What you lookin' at sucka?"

Here was my plan: Day one home (Sun) - 1/2 patch for 2 days, Day 3 (Tues)- 1/2 patch for 2 days, Day 5 home (Thurs) - 1/4 patch for 2 days, Day 7 (Sat) - 1/4 patch for 2 days.

On Friday, I started to get sick, so I put on the last 1/4 patch, but it did not get much better. I decided to take the patch off and let it run its course. I became as violently ill as I did in Africa and yesterday was pretty awful. This was compounded by the fact that I drove to San Francisco yesterday.
Rough life those poor cheetahs have

Aside: There was this big biotech give-a-away for teachers. FREE LAB SUPPLIES! I HAD to go. I am so grateful I did because I got a used thermocycler FREE (it is to do PCR and they cost about $7,000 new! TOTAL SCORE!) and a bunch of other supplies that would easily cost $1,000 for me to buy for labs. Thank you Bio links and Genentech! You rock!

Boys will be boys!

Anyway, I am feeling much better today as long as I don't move around too much or turn my head a lot. I certainly won't be driving or riding in a car today! When this happened to my mom years ago she was sick, like I was yesterday, for 5 days, so I think that the detox strategy worked. So I post this as a warning about motion sickness medication (meaning the patch, my mom has not had any detox issues with Bonine. In hindsight I would use Bonine for an extended trip like this even though it doesn't work as well for me) and a possible detox strategy because I really had to use the medication for the 2 weeks because of our travel schedule. It would have been a miserable 2 weeks if I had been sick on every flight.

Pretty face

More bad news: This means I missed the Catfish Swim today. I am really bummed because this was a 1.2 mile open water swim that would have given me great race conditions practice, but there was NO way I could swim today. I also haven't trained at all since Thursday.

Not good.

This is not helping my freaking out. I am hoping if I lay low today I can get back to it with a long run on Monday. Tuesday I am supposed to go up to Guerneville to ride the bike course for Barb's.

Sorry for the boring, poor me post. Hope the cheetah shots hubby took help.

4 comments:

E said...

Motion sickness is awful. I'm sorry to hear you had to go through all of that, but at least you are back on the mend. Love the cheetah pics! Take things easy and you'll be back on track w/the training this week. :)

Lou said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well! I have faith in you and you'll do great at the half-iron. We all need some down time, so take advantage.

I just got in from a 5.5 mile run, which was supposed to be a 7 mile run, but alas, it's so damn hot and humid here, I feel like I ran 20. Puke.

Calyx Meredith said...

The cheetah is gorgeous but I am so sorry about the motion sickness! It's so horrible for the 12 hour stretches I've had it that I can't imagine having to deal with it for days and days! Make sure to rehydrate yourself thoroughly. (Do you have a nurse buddy who could get you an IV?) Seriously - it takes a while to get all the way back! Sending you good vibes!!

ShirleyPerly said...

OMG, I had no idea there were such withdrawals problems from using the patch. I have pretty bad motion sickness problems and was considering using that for a cruise next year that I'm going to have to go on (in-laws' 50th anniversary). Maybe I'll stick to the Bonine after all ... it works but can make me more drowsy than I'd like unless I'm doing something very active (like racing).

Hope you're feeling well soon. Just making it to race day as healthy is possible is probably the next best thing this close to the big day.

Love the Cheetahs!