"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Sunday, August 26, 2007

16 miles is a long flippin' run!

16 miles is a long flippin' run!


Holy Cow! I ran my first-ever 16 miler today.

We ran on part of the Nike Marathon Course in a convoluted, poorly marked, loop-like thing. Unfortunately, when you run as slowly as I do you often end up running completely alone and on a poorly marked course this can be more than a little frustrating. Somehow I managed to decipher their hieroglyphic markings and didn’t go off course. My run buddy was not so lucky.

All in all the run was OK, not great, but ok. My knees and feet held up pretty well, but my bladder was an issue and my tummy troubles, while kept at bay, were lurking in the background. I ran the whole thing, but had to use the restroom twice. My overall time was 3 hours 35 minutes, which is a 13:23 pace. Considering the two bathroom breaks (Which entailed an extended off course trek to get to the d*mn bathrooms and two failed attempts where I reached locked bathrooms!) I am pleased with my pace.


Again, I finished feeling more apprehensive instead of less about the full marathon. I have figured out some possible sources of my tummy troubles, so I am going to do things a little different for my next long run.

Foodwise, I did very well today. After the run instead of taking the 1797 calories that my GPS says I burned and pigging out, I ate a sensible grilled chicken wrap with no dressing and fruit on the side instead of fries. Then my run buddy and I split a small piece of chocolate cake. The rest of the day was 100% JC except the 3 Gu's I ate on the run.

No comments: