"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sheesh!

My hubby has been trying to get me to join the local cycle touring club so I can do some organized long rides. He really has no desire to do rides over 30 miles and I need to do rides over 30 miles, so we have a problem since he is currently my ONLY cycling partner.

Today I had a 3 hour and 50 minute ride on my training calendar and I REALLY did not want to go by myself, so I put on my big girl pants (I read that somewhere and it cracked me up. I stole it. Not an original RBR-ism) and picked a ride. The Cycling Club recommended picking an easier ride to start so you can get to know the group. That is what I thought I did. Note: I said 'thought.'

Apparently, I was gravely (dramatic sure, but is my story) mistaken. It was a 40 mile ride around the reservoir, no real climbs. It was classified as Grizzley Bear, which is supposed to be their easier rides. Granted the ride posting did say that this would be "slightly more athletic than you typical grizzly bear ride."

Hmm.

My definition of slightly and their definition of slightly, vastly different. Their definition includes a goal speed of 18-20 miles an hour on the flats (which was really a steady up grade. Note: Exhibit A - Picture of elevation chart)

*I don't know why the scale is screwed up. It was only 42 miles not 62.


Anyhoo, the only people that showed up for this ride were 3 HARDCORE old guys from the Cycle Club and one other guest that was an ex-bike racer.

Awesome.

All I could do was pedal my little heart out and try to suck in oxygen as often as possible. The Hardcore Trio and Racer Dude were very gracious and nice to me, but suffice it to say it was a long afternoon. I need a nap.

AND, I have to run 10 miles tomorrow. My poor little leggies are ti-red!

Other news:

I am off to Africa on Tuesday. Like how I say that all casual like I jet off to foreign countries and exotic locals all the time? Actually, I have never been out of the country and this trip is a HUGE deal. I am very excited, but a little scared. Getting my enormous animal family ready for me to leave for 2 weeks is a nightmare and I am super stressed. Plus I need to pack and there are all these rules about what you can and cannot bring, how much it can weigh, etc.

Anyway, I am excited and getting closer to being ready. That and training are why I haven't posted in a couple of days. My hubby takes awesome pictures (and NO I am not the least bit biased!) so I will link to them or have a slide show here when I get back.

Don't worry I won't make you come to my house and trap you in the living room while I regale you with tales of our African adventure, just a little blogger slide show thing-a-ma-job.

6 comments:

Lou said...

Hi there! I'm in your neck of the country!

A few thoughts:

1) Hard core cyclists scare the crap out of me.

2) Africa? Whaaa?

Have a great time on your trip. You will be missed in the blogosphere.

Southbaygirl said...

RBR, have a great time on your trip! I so know how you feel about trying to pack and get your furry family ready while you leave the country! It's pretty hard and stressful for me so i know where you are in that respect! As for Africa-COOL! I've never been to Africa-maybe one day-so good pictures are a must!!! Have an amazing time!!!

You put your big girl pants on and biked with the big dogs! WOOF! You are a future IronWOMAN so now is the time!!

Stef0115 said...

Good for you for riding with those guys. I'm afraid to go on a group ride. Intimidated is more like it.

Best wishes with your 10 miler. Maybe you are out doing it now? Or maybe you got it over with nice and early. :-)

Can't wait to see your pics from Africa! Wow what an opportunity.

Will miss you blogging though for those two weeks. :-(

E said...

Safe travels and have fun! I'm so jealous. I've never been to Africa and would love to go someday!

Good for you for getting out there on the ride with the other "big kids". :)

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Safe travels! Awesome trip - can't wait to see pictures. Claps to you for putting on your big girl pants and riding with the hardcore boys - I know I would have been intimidated.

Erin Leigh said...

That was totally casual, comparable to running to the grocery store, be back in five ;)
Are you just going on vacation?

Great job sticking it out on the ride. Will you ride with the group again?