"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Well, at least it is over...

Teaching
Let's talk about all those inspirational movies where a super dedicated, motivated, and super medicated, ummm... I mean 'and super motivational' teacher takes a bunch of underprivileged, under appreciated kids and turns them into chemical engineers over the summer. Telling us all that if we teachers care enough THEY will care enough and rise to the occasion. BULLSHIT!


Case in point: ( I have a MILLION of them. These just happened to occur tonight, hence the rant)

I sat at school tonight waiting for a student to help him with HIS lab report write up and to tutor HIM on the latest chapter. We were supposed to meet at 8 pm after I went to the gym. I wanted to meet at 6:30-7, he couldn't meet until 8, I said fine I had grading to do anyway. I received a text message at 8:20 "sorry i cant make it. we can do it another time." Really? We can? Thanks! That is awfully sweet of you!

Then, while I am at the grocery store at 8:45 tonight to buy supplies for THIS WEEKEND'S lab (yes, weekend, I hold labs on the weekend and everyone raves about how dedicated the kids are. Umm, I had to institute a rule that if you hadn't read and written up the lab procedure you couldn't come to lab because they would all show up having NO idea what to fucking do and then get mad at ME because the lab was taking too long!)

ANYWAY, I get a call from a very sweet student that has been set up by his 'less than sweet' (read: smug asshole) friend to tell me that I needed to check my email because smug asshole has sent me his lab report to proofread. The lab report is due tomorrow morning at 7 am. Gosh! Thanks for all the lead time. I'll get right on it. Especially since you sleep every morning during my lectures. With that kind of appreciation and respect being directed at me, I certainly want to bend over backwards for you. Bend over... that sounds about right!

In case you were wondering, I AM super human

As a result of shit day # 2,471 I proceeded to pick out a nice, fatty piece of German Chocolate cake and a Reese's Big Cup candy bar when I was at the grocery store for the lab supplies. I however, ....

PUT THEM BACK!!


Holy shit! I almost sound like a rational eater, someone that doesn't sabotage their weight loss efforts because the world is not subscribing to the Code of Stacey. Whoa. I need a minute for that to sink in.

Exercise
Treadmill (32 min)
Run 3 miles (10:40 min/mile)
Knee was hurting all day, but felt surprisingly good on the treadmill. I took it easy on the run and still ended up faster than my usual (pre-treadmill days) pace.

Food Log
Breakfast
(1) English muffin/coffee (2) JC French Toast + banana/coffee
Snack
Nutri-grain bar/coffee/apple
Lunch
(lunch out w/ Mom) Chicken Teriyaki Salad/piece of sourdough bread w/ butter
Snack(s)
JC Toffee bites
Dinner
JC Chicken Carbonara
Snack
Yogurt w/ 1/4c. cereal (carbs, carbs, and more carbs today!)

No comments: