"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Monday, August 13, 2007

It was slow, it was painful, but it is done!

It was slow, it was painful, but it is done!

Today my run buddy and I successfully completed our longest run ever, 14 miles! I made three major mistakes when planning this run:

1. Should not have done it 48 hours after the Dammit Run. My legs were not ready for a long run. There was an actual discussion between my knees and my quads about seceding from the rest of my body. I had to bribe them with promises of pie after the run.

2. We started at the high school ran out 7 miles and back 7 miles. Unfortunately, the 7 miles out was downhill, making the 7 miles back uphill. I am usually a relatively intelligent person. Apparently, the "what goes down, must come back up" escaped me.

3. We started a little later, 7:45 am, and ended up running the non-shaded portion of the trail at the hottest part of the morning. Let's just say that my internal dialogue for miles 9,10, and 11 is NOT G-rated.

Nonetheless, I was able to run the entire 14 miles, so I can check that run off my list in preparation for the marathon. However, I am still terrified of the marathon. Instead of feeling better about being able to complete the marathon after these long runs, I feel worse. I always feel like I couldn’t possibly run any more miles when I am done. I am assured that this in normal, but I don’t know.

No comments: