"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Friday, August 10, 2007

I am on a roll!!

I am on a roll!!

Today at the buddy run I had a great run. Usually Thursday’s run is a little tough for me because I am a little fried from the week of training (rest day is Friday), but today I had a great run. I ran six miles. I started out slow like always to let myself warm up. My run buddy turned around at 1.5 miles (to do a 3 mile run) because her hip flexor was hurting from Tuesday’s track practice so I ran the last 4.5 miles by myself. I decided to push it a little to get in some speed work. I pushed the last two miles really hard hoping to get under 11 minute miles for both of them. Here are my splits (times for each mile of the run shown individually. I don’t know why they call them “splits"):

According to my GPS: (in min:sec)

Mile 1: 13:43
Mile 2: 13:20
Mile 3: 11:48
Mile 4: 11:51
Mile 5: 10:33 Whoa!
Mile 6: 9:46 Holy Toledo!

Yay!! I am pretty happy about that. Of course, I felt as though my heart may leap from my chest at any moment and if I had to run more than those 2 miles I would have keeled over dead, but still pretty darn good for me.

Thank you all for the kind comments. The marathon has been a “secret” goal/pipedream for as long as I can remember and the fact that not only have I said it out loud, but I am actually training to do it is pretty scary. The weight loss has been a struggle all my life and this is the first time I have really tried to make a lifestyle change instead of just to “look better” or “be smaller”. Your encouragement means more than you know!

Oh! I decided to include some before and after pictures. When I was looking for pictures I noticed that I always hide my lower body in pictures or I crop it out. I almost had no pictures that showed those "problem areas" but I found these two gems.

No comments: