17 hours ago
"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."
~ Anonymous (taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Oh God, I am doing a triathlon tomorrow
How did it escape my attention that I am doing my first triathlon of the season this weekend?!
I mean, I knew it was there on the schedule, I had made some plans around it, but it wasn't until the kids asked what I was doing this weekend that I thought, "Crap! I am doing a triathlon this weekend!"
I can run. Give me a pair of shoes and a race number and I am off, but swim/bike/run? All in a row?
I don't feel ready for this.
List of my concerns in no particular order:
1. It is a sprint, but a long sprint (3/4 mi. swim/16 mile bike/5 mile run). Eek. Upside the swim is in a lake, meaning no sharks, not as cold (60-65 degrees), and no rip tide to flush you to your death.
2. It is, however, a "water start" and I, frankly, have no idea what this means other than, I assume, you are in the water when you start. *shrug*
3. I am in the last wave, which means that I will be the last fucking swimmer out of the water. Awesome.
4. California is currently in the middle of a heat wave and it is HOT. I have not done so well training in the heat (read: I have been a miserable, whiny baby)
5. No one is doing this with me. Well, except the other 1000 people, but I do not KNOW them! They won't listen to me whine about how much I hate the swim, they don't care that I am hot, they won't help me find my transition area, or the body markers, or, or, ... *sniff*
I'll stop. Sorry.