"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Monday, May 12, 2008

Training Week in Review


Thank you all for the support of my latest harebrained idea. I am excited and more than a little scared.

This week was insane, but I got some good training in and conquered a fear (ok, 'conquered' is strong, we will say 'faced'). More on that later.

Tuesday I did intervals on my run. Intervals are hard, and are especially UN-fun in the heat. But, I did all six of them. Go me. Swim class was good except they removed my beloved swim bubble which makes it significantly colder and more exposed. Ick.

On Thursday, I had my first fall of the season on the bike. Notice I said fall, not crash. Yep, I fell at a stop sign from a complete stop. The bike survived with minor blemishes as did I, but it was a little embarrassing since I fell right in front of a car that was waiting to turn. This prompted the driver to come out and dramatically wave her hands around and ask if I was ok. Nice of her, but I would have rather just got up and rode away. It was apparently one of the scariest things that had ever happened to her. (It does make me wonder how close she was to hitting the accelerator and squashing me. Whatever. I am fine.)

Fear facing: On Saturday, my tri clinic had the first open water swim. Needless to say I was not thrilled about the prospect of re-entering the ocean after the Pac Grove Swim Debacle of 2007. (Picture: Right before the swim 2007. Don't I look excited to get in the freezing ocean) I have to say that my coach was AWESOME. She stayed with me the entire time and was a great cheerleader as I sputtered and splashed my way to the buoy and back. The water was a balmy 51 degrees (yes, that is Fahrenheit) I think I swam a sum total of 500 yards, but at least I got in and swam some.

Then when I got home hubby and I went for a 3 hour, 36 mile ride. He had a flat so that added to our time but it was a nice ride. No crazy, billy goat climbs this time!

Sunday, I ran 9 miles (at a 10:40 pace, go me!) before I had to come home and cook brunch to take to my Mom's for Mother's Day. Yes, you read that correctly, Ms. "My idea of cooking is puncture film 3-4 times to vent" actually cooked! I guess spending this winter watching the Food Network while on the treadmill paid off.

Training totals for the week (Sun 5/4-Sat 5/10):

Run: 12.5 miles
Bike: 54 miles
Swim: 2100 yards

11 comments:

Willie said...

Hey that's my picture! Wow!

I think it's Oklahomans but I really like Oklahomites now that you mention it.

Way to go with vanquishing your fears (looked that one up, go me!). I can't say I've known you (at all really) that long but I can sense that you are a changed person. You seem focused and dedicated to this Triathlon thing. For goodness sakes you even swam, in open water! Keep it up, you are inspiring.

ShirleyPerly said...

Great job on the swim! I revisited a swim course last weekend that marked my first DNF in a race, my first IM attempt. Like you, I've really struggled with my swimming and get very seasick easily. And having really rough ocean conditions doesn't help. But it felt so great to get back out there and conquer some fears. Revenge was sweet!

Keep it up the good work!!

Calyx Meredith said...

Look at you, getting in that (COLD!!!) water! Without a thousand other folks surrounding you! Well done. Your training numbers are beautiful and I am in awe of your run pace. I agree with Willie - you seem focused and excited and more confident than in your earlier posts. Clearly triathlon is your sport.

And ftr, I think the word verification gizmo has a twisted sense of humor. I get all the ones with the l's, u's, v's and bizarre fonts so I can't possibly get it right the first time. Gah!

Calyx Meredith said...

Did I mention sense of humor??? I posted my comment and the gizmo refreshed with the new word verification of "xtrweed". Dude! Extra weed! Do you think it's asking or offering? Do you think it has me confused with one of the slackers from the back row of your worst class?

Reese said...

Thanks for the comment. I read your friend Lindys' blog about Flying Pig, she did great. I always love to hear about first's. And your accomplishments are awesome, I've read back a bit, and look forward to reading all past and future posts.

Angela said...

Hahaha! The Food Network really inspires me. Seriously. I don't cook much either, but when I watch it I THINK that I can. Anyway, I don't think I've told you lately, but YOU ROCK!
-Angela

Lou said...

I fell off my bike twice in one day last week! Once from a complete stop (got a leg cramp and just basically crumpled to the ground) and once because I'm apparently complete incapable of maintaining my balance and I tried to ride through a small space and hit the curb. I, unlike you, went around like a five-year-old for the next day saying things like "I hate my bike" and "I'm never riding again." It makes me feel better to know that people who are more experienced riders fall sometimes too.

Jane said...

Yeah, Toby's kinda overweight - my fault, bad owner! but she's actually lost weight, so she was alot tubbier. Are you a vet?

And you should totally take the Total Immersion course. I rec to everone.

Jane said...

Just FYI: I heard the Arizona's course was brutal regarding the heat. I know this past one was particularly bad, but the race reports I read scare me. I was considering doing this myself, but reconsidering. I don't know if it'll be any better in November...

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

I fell on my bike once trying to get going, I was moving, I clipped in and then promptly fell over still clipped in. No known witnesses, but I was still humiliated. You are awesome. My training has been slacking since Nashville. I need to get in the groove and find another big event to look forward to as well!

Tater said...

Where u at? What u been up to? *sigh*

LOL ~Tater~