"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Saturday, March 29, 2008

First double digit run since the marathon

Since I am training for San Diego Marathon on June 1st, I decided I needed to start getting my miles up. Today I ran 10.1 miles on my beloved bike trail. I was not daring enough to try a long run on real trails. Especially considering my penchant for getting lost. (Picture: Lone coot. My favorite water fowl and a regular along the trail.)




I started my run in a different location on the bike trail so I could change my scenery a little. The first three miles did not feel good. My legs felt sluggish like they have on all of my runs since the marathon. I kept my pace slow because I wanted to make sure I could complete the full 10 miles. The weather was perfect running weather, 55 degrees and slightly overcast (I wish you could have 55 degrees and sun, but oh well) It was a little humid so I was having a little trouble with my asthma. I had to use my inhaler twice for wheezing and I sounded AWFUL when I ran past people but I actually felt ok, so I kept running. (Picture: Bridge over the Los Gatos Creek)

At mile 5 I was exactly at a 12 min/mile pace which was what I was shooting for. I knew I would be a little faster on the way back, because the first 5 miles are slightly uphill, making the last 5 slightly downhill. (Picture: Around mile 4. This is one of my favorite stretches of trail. I call it the Tour of Homes I will Never be Able to Own)

At mile 6 I was ecstatic to see that my run buddy had rode her bike out to meet me and she rode the last 4 miles with me which was WONDERFUL. It was so nice to have someone to chat with (I am sure you are shocked to hear that I am a "chatty runner". I actually annoy the hell out of a lot of people, but my run buddy loves me anyway!)

The rest of the run went really quick with a buddy to help distract me. She was a little concerned with my breathing. She has seen a full blown attack and would rather not again, but I assured her I was fine. I finished 10.1 miles in 1:54: 16 (11:19 min/mile pace).

I was very pleased with the run. My knees are a little achy, but I stretched and iced and I am sure they will be fine for tomorrow's ride.

This week's workout totals:

Run: 15.1 miles
Bike: 48.2 miles
Swim: 2000 yards

Not too shabby if I say so myself!

5 comments:

Willie said...

Great job on your run! The trail looks wonderful and I think it's great you have a friend good enough to come out and meet you. Those kind of friends are hard to find.

Anonymous said...

Heya! You did great girl! Your trail is beatiful! You continue to insprie me everyday! ~Brandi

Calyx Meredith said...

Woo hoo! Great run with great pics! I very much missed hearing it all "real time" by being away for 10 days, but I'm glad to be back and catching up. Looks like you are conquering the swim, the mean girls, and the technical aspects of biking in traffic! (It's like the obstacle triathlon.) Go girl.
Catch up comment tidbits - I have trouble breathing on my right side too! The best advice I've ever had about it is to concentrate more on breathing out fully. If you breathe all the way out then your body will automatically suck in enough air even if you can only turn a little to the side. I thought my issue was that I couldn't turn my head to that side as much as the other but it seems my issue was more that I didn't empty my lungs as fully because I started my rotation to that side earlier. Anyway - thought I'd pass it on in case it could help.
Last bit - the bunnies are darling! Peace.

ShirleyPerly said...

Well done on your run and I love the photos!

ShirleyPerly said...

PS - I'm quite prone to seasickness too and have found ear plugs to help. I actually learned a new freestyle stroke last year which seems to have helped (not as much rolling side to side) and now only need ear plugs when swimming in the ocean when noticeable swells are present. But, do whatever works for you!!