"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Don't cha?

Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:18
Don't cha?
Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?! (Sorry, I teach high school and I am probably emotionally only about 15-16 at most anyway!)

Yesterday I wore a skirt I haven't worn since last January. Last January I was at least 20 pounds heavier than I am now and the skirt was, well, if we are being kind we could say it was snug, if we are being honest ,it made me look like 10 pounds of sausage in 5 pounds of casing, as my mother would say.

"Casing", for those of you that weren't raised by hillbillies like I was, is the layer of, usually intestine, that you put the ground sausage in to make links. I know, disgusting. Now you probably will never eat sausage again, so I won't go into what goes into the "ground" part . Ick! anyway if the casing is too small you get a taut, lumpy, about to burst appearance to your links.

You can thank me later for the lovely visual.

Anyhoo, back to my story...

Yesterday I wore said skirt and it actually fit like it was supposed to and, if I say so myself, and since I am the only one typing here I guess I DO say so myself, I looked quite fetching in it. I got several compliments and a few turned heads. Ha! It was kind of nice.

Unfortunately, my pretty skirt and pink sweater did NOT make biology any more interesting to high school sophomores, so that part of my day didn't go any better, BUT the rest of the day was nice! Which leads me to my next category... (like my new segue system!)

Teaching vent

*sigh*

This is going to make me sound old, but we didn't act like this when I was in school. Maybe this was in large part because I was a nerd and nerds are in classes with other needs and we all typically do whatever the teacher tells us.

Why must I TELL students to take out their pencils and paper? Why must I re-tell said students three times to take out their pencils and paper to get approximately 85% of the class to do so? Why must I tell students everyday that, no, I do not loan out pencils or paper (and technically, if they actually do the assignment paper would not be a "loan" anyway) and that they are expected to bring these materials to class everyday? And finally, why do they honestly think that because they came unprepared for class it is an excuse and perfectly ok to sleep/text message their friends/talk to their neighbor/stare blankly at the wall/etc. instead of take notes or do whatever assignment we are all working on?

Some days feel like I show up to work, strap 36 dead birds around my neck and slog through the period (95 minute periods mind you!) until the merciful bell rings and allows me to untie the birds and let them shuffle from the classroom. Then 36 more dead birds show up and the process starts all over again.

Ok, enough of that.

Exercise

Treadmill (41 minutes)
Run 4 miles (!!) (10:15 min/mile Hoo Hah!)

Pilates Class (1 hour)
Umm.. I don't think I am flexible/strong/coordinated enough for this.

Food

Breakfast
(1) English muffin
coffee
(2) NO TIME! Cherub central! "Teacher, I want..., I need..., You didn't.., How come...?" blah, blah, blah

Snack
apple
snack pack of dried mango pieces
snack pack of dried plums
(sounds so much nicer than 'prunes')

Lunch (late)
Sushi (rough day)
Golden Bell Roll (I know, I know...)
Tamago
Diet coke

Snack
none

Dinner
JC Cheesy Enchilada
(the lunch I ditched to have sushi)

Snack
yogurt w/ 1/4 c. soy flax cereal

No comments: