"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Sunday, October 7, 2007

I am trying not to freak out...

Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:35
I am trying not to freak out...

I had to cut my 10 mile run short at 7 miles this morning because my knee was hurting so bad. I have not had this kind of knee pain all season.



I did have this kind of knee pain 3 years ago when I participated in an event I was too out of shape for and increased my mileage too quickly.

This time, however, I have been hyper-vigilant about training consistently and training smart to stay healthy. And NOW 2 weeks before the g*%d@mn marathon my knee gives out?! Are you kidding me?!

The worst part is the Nike Marathon has a cut off time of 6 hours 30 minutes. That is a 15 minute/mile pace. I know to a lot of you that sounds really slow and plenty of time, but my long runs are at 13:40-ish/mile. That means that I do not have a lot of wiggle room. If I have to walk due to knee issues and I am not at pace on mile 18 they WILL PULL ME OFF THE COURSE and I CANNOT FINISH THE RACE or get a finishers necklace or t-shirt.



** Help! I cannot seem to get enough air right now and the room is getting dark.**

Ok, Stacey calm down. *retrieves brown paper bag to breathe into*

It has been a rough couple of weeks. I am a little fragile emotionally and I am NOT going to get negative. I have done various things to give myself the best chance possible for my marathon:

1. I have emailed the coaches to ask for help.

2. I stopped running at 7 miles instead of being stubborn and finishing the 10 miler and risking the knee getting seriously injured. (Although I still had to walk back the 3 miles because I was 3 miles away from my car )

3. I iced my knee when I got home and I am going to ice it again 10 min of each hour for the next 3-4 hours.

It is the best I can do. It will be what it will be at this point. My husband was looking for marathons after Nike that I can sign up for in case I can't finish this one. I will start, but if it doesn't work out I am NOT GOING TO GIVE UP! I WILL finish a marathon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enough about me.

Poor Lindy! I heard from Shelley (Shelleys) that the Chicago LaSalle Marathon was canceled at the halfway mark due to record heat and humidity. I really hope she is ok.
{{{Sending good vibes to Lindy}}}

No comments: