"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Saturday, July 21, 2007

New Run Buddy

Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:36
New Run Buddy

Today I ran 6 miles with a new friend. It was great. I have to be honest; I have a really hard time meeting new people especially when it involves areas that I feel self-conscious about (e.g. exercising!) I have this annoying habit of been extremely self-deprecating when I am nervous, so I kept blabbing on and on about being slow and out of shape. I am sure he considered shoving me off the trail, but after I calmed down I think it went pretty well. We ran at a fast pace for me (11’ 40”/mile) and I was able to complete the run and keep up my end of the conversation all the while.

I had a bad run on Thursday. I woke up late, missed the run start for TNT, missed breakfast and tried to stuff a banana in my mouth minutes before starting to run. As would be expected, after running for about half an hour with a seemingly 5lb., lead banana in my stomach, I ran out of energy and bonked on the run. I was able to keep running with the help of a Gu packet, but I got all “sparkly” feeling and weaved my way to a very unimpressive (and downright cranky) finish to my five mile run. After that all-star performance, it was nice to have my next run be a good one.

I tend to be very fatalistic when it comes to my running. I always think that one bad run must mean that I am not fit enough to complete this training and will never have a good run again. Blah, blah, blah…. Old tapes that run in my head!

Anyhoo..

I am leaving for Seattle tomorrow for a 5 day vacation and I am concerned about my training for this week and my JC. I obviously can’t take all my JC food, so I am going to be on my own and historically this has not been good for me. I have my weigh in about 2 hours after my flight arrives on Friday so we will see how it goes.

No comments: