"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Four Days into summer

Three of the four days this summer I have spent entirely in hospitals. Not one weekday of my fledgling summer has gone by that I have not spent time (and usually a VAST amount of time) on a surgery ward, in a doctor's office, an emergency room, or hospital ward.

My Run Buddy (my first running partner that no longer runs, but is still my one of my two best friends. She needs a new blog nickname, but I am too tired to think of something as creative as 'Run buddy') is in the hospital.

Run Buddy and me at the Nike Women's Marathon 2008. I was injured and had to walk/run and she stayed with me the whole day.

I have been there 10+ hours a day for the last two days. I am headed back there now. Well, as soon as I quit pissing and moaning here.

Us at her bachelorette party last summer. Her crazy party was her and I spending the weekend in Monterey and going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The 'Girls Gone Wild' crew followed us everywhere! Bastards.


Run buddy AFTER the Mermaid triathlon in 2008. I know, you are not supposed to be that damn adorable after a race!

She has had three MRI's and had a lumbar puncture yesterday for testing and to remove some CSF to relieve the pressure. I threw a mini fit when I could not go in with her. Then I stood guard at the door like some big goon. I heard one of the nurses say, referring to me, "I think that is the girlfriend. She looks scared and kind of pissed." (In their defense, I do sign into the visitor log as relationship to patient: Wife, just to fuck with the guard dude. Prop 8 can kiss my ass)

When she came out I started crying. She kept telling me it was not that bad and she was fine. She is handling it like a champ and I am a fucking basket case. WTF? What a great support crew I am.

Good news: She does not have a brain tumor.

Bad news: There is other scary stuff still on the table in terms of diagnosis.

Good news: She is feeling good besides some really fucked up symptoms (like blind spots and blue waves of light and flashes in her vision)

Bad news: SHE IS IN THE FUCKING HOSPITAL!

Anyhoo I need to get going I just needed to rant, since it all about me, and all.

It is official, 2010 can suck it.

16 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Yikes! I really should read these things before commenting.

I want to apologize for the inappropriate comments (deleted now) and say I really hope your friend/wife gets well!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Damn girl. Seriously. 2010 needs to ease up on you. You've had more than your share of crap.

joyRuN said...

Anyone would be incredibly lucky to have a friend/wife like you.

Good luck to RB. Hope they can get a diagnosis soon so treatment can start ASAP.

SteveQ said...

Good lord. No wonder you're always hovering over the comments in my blog telling me to take care of myself!

Now, then. Don't forget to take care of you. I've been there - you have to be well yourself if you plan to be there for everyone else who's falling apart.

I want my money back. I bought Girls Gone Wild: Monterey Bay Aquariam and there wasn't much of Walrus Girl.

Carly said...

I hope your friend gets well really soon. I also think 2010 needs to ease up on you. A person can only take so much!

Kate Geisen said...

Maybe your basketcase-ness is helping her keep it together. I do think it's usually easier to be the one going through something than it is to be the one standing by helplessly. And if she WAS a basket case, my guess is you'd rise to the occasion...or at least share in a good cry with her.

Best wishes to her. She's already clearly blessed to have you for a friend; now we'll pray that her health issues are cured.

Diana said...

Geez, and I'm pissing and moaning about a lousy ass 3 day weekend coming up.
Sorry to hear of your friend. I sure hope all comes out OK. This 2010 does seem to really suck puppies dicks for you-sounds like my 2009. Lets hope the rest of the year is all good shit that is well needed.

Regina said...

Wow. That is some tough stuff. I hope her diagnosis will be good, as in "there is nothing to worry about, take this and you'll be fine." Keeping my fingers crossed for something like that. Hang in there.

Aka Alice said...

So. Absolutely. Not. Fair! (to Run Buddy or to you). SUCK. SUCK. SUCK.

I'm so damn articulate.

I have no doubt that you are completely the most supportive friend there is.

Hang in there.

Anne said...

Enough already...2010 can suck it indeed! You are such a special woman and both your spouses are lucky to have you in their life. My thoughts are with you and RB...here's hoping they figure things out real soon.

SteveQ said...

Just so you know: I may soon be away from the blogosphere for an extended time. Don't worry.

IronSnoopy said...

2010 can suck it. There needs to be a limit on total hospital time, kind of like a hospital time deductible, and you've already met it.

Speedy healing vibes for your wife. I hope she's OK!

KJ said...

You are overdue for a break, girl! I hope they find out what is going on with your friend and it is nothing serious. No brain tumor is way good I think considering her symptoms (though I am not a doctor nor do I play one on tv). Praying answers come soon!

Lindsay said...

I agree with Joy. You are a wonderful friend and wife (to multiple people). :) So glad it's not a brain tumor and hopeully the other bad-diagnosis get ruled out quickly as well.

Thanks for the email/note last week and affirmation that I'm not a dude :) We all have our issues, some worse than others. I found this quote awhile back that said "be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"

hang in there and keep on loving your hubs and RB!