2007 vs 2008: This is the first time that I have 2 years of relatively consistent exercise to compare.
Run: 430.15 miles
Bike: 108.26 miles
Swim: 2037 yards
Number of races: 2
Run: 851.2 miles (increase of 421.05 miles)
Bike: 1538.3 miles (increase of 1475. 04 miles)
Swim: 65,990 yards (increase of 63,953 yards)
Number of races: 25 (increase of 23 races)
Jan 1 of 2008
I wrote out a summary of one of the toughest years (2007) I had had in a while and the beginning of my quest to turn it around. Then I set down a "List of Shit I would like to do in 2008" (I have a horrible track record with "resolutions" so I lie to myself and say they are not resolutions when really, aren't goals and resolutions the same thing?)
Let's see how I did: 2008 Goals and Actual
1. Run 800 miles in 2008 (a little over 15 miles per week average)
Actual: I ran 851.2 miles
2. Complete the Napa Valley Marathon and at least one other marathon, at least one half marathon, and at least two other races including the Pacific Grove 2008 triathlon and a 10 K with my friend Shelley.
Ran 4 marathons, 1 - 50K Ultra-marathon, 6 - 1/2 marathons, and 9 other races of varying lengths, including the 10K with Shelley and Andrea! Completed: 2 sprint distance triathlons (one was a long sprint at 3/4 mi swim, 16 mi bike and 5 mile run), 2 olympic distance triathlons, and 1 half iron distance triathlon.
25 races total. WAY exceeded what I thought I was ever capable of. I had an absolute blast and I met a ton of people both online and in real life that inspired me to keep on keeping on. Decided to register and train for Ironman Coeur d'Alene.
3. Swim lessons, starting in June (after school gets out until the Pacific Grove triathlon)
Actual: Joined pre-masters class and completed two open water swim clinics.
4. Do Pacific Grove Triathlon in under 4 hours
Actual: FINALLY did the Pacific Grove Triathlon in under 4 hours!Team RBR after The Triathlon at Pacific Grove
5. Be a whole lot closer to finishing my masters degree. (i.e. be finished with classes and research and be writing thesis)
Actual: Done with classes. No research, no thesis. Chose committee members and taking Comp Exams in Fall 2009.
6. At least three vacations with hubby (Africa and Seattle are planned for summer 2008, then one weekend get-away)
Actual: Africa, Seattle, Lompoc mini-vacation from hell, and Hawaii.
7. Date night with hubby once a week at least 3 weeks out of the month
Actual: Maybe once a month. More likely once every other month. Serious room for improvement.
8. Lunch/breakfast with Mom and/or Dad once a month.
Actual: Nope. Not even close. But I saw them a lot more than the previous year.
My Dad and I after Dammit Run 2008
9. Send all family and friends' birthday cards ON TIME!
Actual: Nope. Most family cards sent on time. LA Run Buddy's card was miserably late and I totally bailed on several other birthdays. Did not send Christmas cards at all this year. HUGE room for improvement.
All in all an awesome year. I traveled more, did more, and had more fun than I have in my entire life. I accomplished more than I ever thought remotely possible and I did the unthinkable
I became a runner.