"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Queen of the Mountain


Ok, maybe that is a bit much, but I climbed a hill I have been scared of since I started cycling. Hubby took me on my long ride today and I had a 2 1/2 hour ride with 3 climbs on my schedule. He chose Hicks Rd. which is one of the tougher (albeit, shorter) climbs in the area. He said I should try to go to the cattle guard Picture cattle guard for you non-cowboy types. He ALWAYS overestimates my abilities, so I thought I would NOT be able to get to the cattle guard, but I DID! Go me.

We rode 31 miles and did 2 real climbs, and one lesser climb. Hubby was impressed and said I am definitely getting stronger. This is no small thing. He doesn't exactly play fast and loose with compliments. Picture Elevation chart for today's ride


Tomorrow is a recovery long run. I think I will run 7-8 miles at a different bike trail (ooh! new pictures!) My legs are feeling pretty good, although they were trashed most of the week after the 20 miler. I think I need to look at using a recovery drink after long runs like that. I am going to try one (Ultragen) after the 23 miler next weekend. I am also going to try electrolyte tablets (Salt Stick) on the recommendation of my coach (she also recommeded the recovery drink she uses). The heat last week really got to me and I need to be ready for it to be warm in San Diego. I will give a review of these after I try them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya....
Sounds like you are sooooo busy but I'm glad you're dealing with the stress well. You're totals for last month are awesome. Your ride with your hubby is amazing! You rock Stacey! ~Brandi

Southbaygirl said...

You are superwoman....I've fallen to superless woman but am still hacking away at it with my long ass hours! I went from all the free time in the world to none! UGH! But I've registered for the San Fran 1st half Marathon on August 3rd! And I'm thinking of doing the San Jose in october. Love northern california! Hope to see you at one of those-but no matter what I will be cheering you on San Diego!!! Run Bitch Run

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

WTF? You appear to have cycled overm my left boob. Oh wait. Those are miles.

Shelley said...

Hey, Stacey! Yes, my opponent was VERY nice, indeed!!!! But she kicked my ass, not the other way around. Oh, well. I had a blast!!

What a cool bike ride you went on! Thats a whole lot of miles! Wow. I love that your recovery long run is 7-8 miles. Ouch. I long for the day when 8 miles is considered a "break" for me! :)

Ok, little DD has Star testing all week this week and it is just going to suck. I feel so badly for her!! She struggles with math just like I did as a kid!! :(

Have a great week! Talk soon! When are we gonna run together again? Lets find a race soon.

Luv ya!
Shelley

Calyx Meredith said...

You are a ROCKSTAR! What a kick ass training weekend in the midst of teacher hell month! Way to go! Did you decide about SF? It would be so much fun to run with you! Errr, ok, being realistic on the "with" part of that - it would be so much fun to wave at you as you leave me in the dust at the corral and to hang out with you at the finish. :D Have I told you lately that you're awesome??

ShirleyPerly said...

Way to get up that hill!

After long runs and marathons, I swear by ice water baths. Soaking for 10-15 min in just cold water also helps cut the swelling in legs and get you on the road to recovery faster. Try it!!