"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Devil's 20 Miler

We interrupt our regularly scheduled blog to report:

Planet Ynnep rocked the hell out of the Country Music 1/2 Marathon. Check it out: Planet Ynnep Running

Willie ran a SUB Four, Baby!
And boy, did he. Check it out: See Willie Run


Back to the Devil's 20 Miler

It was not and official race/run but I think it is an apropos name for today's long run. I had my 20 mile run scheduled today. I started at 7:30 am because I knew it was going to be warm today. In retrospect, I should have started around 5:30 am. The first 8 miles were ok, heat-wise, but it was quickly downhill from there. Unfortunately, that was figuratively, not literally. Picture: The Billy Goat Trail up the dam that I had to run up at mile 9.25

The problem with my beloved bike trail is that while relatively flat it has long stretches that have no shade cover. Last weekend I was running in ear warmers and gloves this weekend I am sweating my ass off (again figuratively, unfortunately NOT literally). Picture: pretty view of Lake Vasona in the park

My run buddy was kind enough to come out for the last 8 miles and help by riding ahead and filling up my water bottles. I drank 6-8oz bottles of water and one of Gatorade. Picture: Run buddy hamming it up with my water. God Bless her!

I am pretty proud of myself for running 20 miles on my own. I realized when I met Andrea and Shelley that y'all haven't seen me without my hat. They both said, "OMG you have hair!" I actually have quite a lot of it, lol! Picture: this morning at 6:30 (pre-run, obviously) plus a picture from San Diego Zoo this Christmas.

10 comments:

Southbaygirl said...

You do have hair! WOW! It's long and pretty!!!

I heard it was hot as hell here today! I was kinda glad I was in the south where it was pissing down rain! As you know, I HATE running in the sun and heat! I don't know how you did it! I would have said screw this-and gone home and tried another day! I'm a big fan of starting at 5:30am!!!

I'm thinking of doing the San Jose half in October, also running a few trail races this May-and maybe Santa Barbara half on the 11th.

Woo Hoo....you are a diehard woman for sticking it out in the baking heat for your 20 miler!!!

Rock on

Andrea N said...

Uh oh...you better watch out...posting pictures of how hot you and all that hair are!! You might find you have some secret admirers!

Great job on your 20-miler!! That is so incredible. After running my 2nd 10K yesterday (I only registered for it on Thursday so I don't think you've read my blog yet) I'm still sort of wondering how I'm going to get through 13.1 miles in about 4 weeks. It's going to be a very long May 25th.

Hope you're doing okay, and that you have an awesome week!!

Anonymous said...

You are so cute! You have really pretty hair!

It was rather chilly in TN yesterday and even this morning. Kind of disappointing considering the weather we had been having!

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hi!

-Angela

Anonymous said...

You are so, so, so pretty! I didn't really see you without a hat on either except for your before pic but it's really tiny. ;-) Have a good week. ~Brandi

Calyx Meredith said...

Way to go on the 20 miles!!!! I'm with Southbay Girl on being a fan of running at 5:30 to avoid heat. I guess, though, once you're out there - you've gotta keep going to get back whether it's hot or not!

Speaking of hot...you are even prettier with hair! :D Your post made me realize that the only picture (I think)that I've posted of myself on my blog is two years old! Hmmmm, maybe I should do something about that.
Congrats again on persevering through your "self-supported" 20-miler. (That self support being your awesome run buddy - whom we thank for keeping our RBR hydrated!)

Shelley said...

Man, you ran in that heat?? It was sooooo hot this weekend! Good job for getting out there and doing it. So nice that your run buddy met you and rode with your for the last 8 miles!

You have such beautiful hair!!! I wish I had long hair...but it just doesn't grow! Anyway, thanks for the hatless pictures!! Either way, you're still hot!

Now get back to Star testing!! And grading those papers!! I hope life settles down for you soon!

Willie said...

Great job with the 20 miles. I don't think I've ever done 20 miles by myself. Not sure I could. I need the group for those loooonnnngggg runs. You did it in the heat also! I'm impressed.

As for the pictures.. Holy crap you are a total hottie! I hope you realize that. If you teach High School I pitty those poor boys in your class. I remember teachers like you, drove me totally crazy. Please take pitty on them.

Anonymous said...

YAY YOU!!!!! 20 miles by yourself...I know for myself that it's no easy task. Good thinking to have your friend help with the water. It's true, you really can't carry enough for that amount of distance.

on an unrelated note...

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT, 4 more days til my marathon. I'm getting very scared and my taper has been really LAME. Not enough runs.

I'm nervous. Thanks for listening.

Tater said...

Whodathunkit! Who knew you had all that gorgeous hair? I whacked mine off last year and have been growing it out. Is past shoulders and now contemplating whacking it again but trying to resist. Know what you mean about the heat. Is muggy as hell down here already UGH! Pretty soon will only be able to barely tolerate it before 6 am and after 9pm. Sucks cause I would so much rather workout outside than in a stinky gym full of other heavy breathers!

Jane said...

Wow, you really have nice hair. Isn't is weird to see people we think we know in "regular clothes", i.e. not in helmets and spandex