"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Gratitude List

Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:18
Thanksgiving Gratitude List

Thanksgiving Gratitude List

1. I am grateful I am clean and sober. Without this, nothing else that is good in my life, or my life itself for that matter, would be possible.

2. I am grateful for my relationship with my husband. We met in a meeting almost 17 years ago and have been together ever since. He has been with me through the worst of the worst times and stuck by me when everyone else had given up. He gave me tough love when I needed it and softness when I needed it. He makes me feel safe and loved. I can not thank him enough for that. I never thought I was capable of the life we have built together. Feet first baby! (We have a joke. “No one leaves this relationship unless it is feet first!” We have a morbid sense of humor in my house)


3. I am grateful for my family of origin. I lost them once. Not lost, that sounds like I was a victim, I wasn’t. I threw them away once. I will never let that happen again.

4. I am grateful for my education and the opportunities it has afforded me. My father was the first in our family to go to college. He worked three jobs to make it happen. He had to attend alternate quarters to work enough to save for the next quarter and then he continued to work while he was in school. When I came along he was determined that I would not struggle as he did. I don’t remember a time when I thought I wasn’t going to college. When the time came I was an immature, emotionally screwed up girl and I ended up dropping out (let’s be honest, I dropped out before they kicked me out.) I squandered his money and shattered his dreams.
When I got my shit together I was too embarrassed to even attempt school again. I thought I was too stupid, lazy, unmotivated, etc. My then boyfriend, now husband, encouraged me to go back. He couldn’t see me waiting tables and cocktailing for the rest of my life. I started back at community college (it was my dime this time and I had to work full time to make it happen) and discovered that I actually liked learning. I kept at it and eventually graduated with my BS in biology. I was the second person in our family (and last so far) to graduate from college. I have since earned my registered veterinary technician (RVT) license, a single subject teaching credential in biology and chemistry, MA in Administration and Educational Leadership, a preliminary administrative credential, and am currently working on a second masters degree (MS) in Microbiology and Molecular Biology.


5. I am grateful for my furry, feathered and scaly family. I have a large animal family that gives me joy everyday and reminds me not to take life so damn seriously!

Posted By: RBR | Comments (2

No comments: