"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Week 19: Trudging along

Saturday long Ride - Ride with Roberta for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

I had a 6 hour ride on my training schedule and I was trying to find a group to ride with when I got an email about a 100 mile ride/fundraiser event for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society being put on by Roberta Gonzales (a local TV celebrity. Channel 5 News) I knew she was fast from reading a report she had written on IM Lake Placid, but I thought, what the hell? It is a TNT event there should be some other slow people.

Uh, wrong.

Here is the group shot before we took off. Nope, not a slow one in the bunch. Well, except the round one on the end in the pink.

I got there early and when all these skinny guys on expensive bikes started showing up I panicked and almost bailed. I was even texting Southbay Girl telling her I wanted to bail.

The fast guys were actually VERY nice and a couple of them were at Grizzly Peaks Century the weekend before and were very impressed that I had stayed to do 74 miles. They had packed up and left when it started pouring at the start.

Roberta Gonzales was gorgeous and as sweet and energetic as a person could be. She is being awarded the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Woman of the Year Award. Which is HUGE honor.
Roberta and I at the regroup. Taken to prove to my mother that yes, I was riding with THAT Roberta Gonzales.

You know you are gorgeous when 4 men pull over to change your tire for you.

Fortunately, I saw one of the ride leaders from the Cinderella Training and she told me that she was coming off an injury and she and her friend were going to be slow and I could ride with them.

Hale-fucking-leujah!

They had decided to cut off a 10 mile loop from the beginning of the ride so that the rest of the group would not being waiting at the too long at the regroup. Our ride would be about 84 miles and the rest of the group would be doing 94. I would have preferred to ride the full 94, but versus being dropped instantly and riding 94 miles alone, I would take 84.

Me and my crew! Thank you Pat and Al. You rock!

As seems to be my norm lately, I started my Garmin late and I only recorded 81 miles of the ride, but I got all of the climb. 5,011 ft of climb to be exact, most of which was between miles 20 and 45.


The elevation profile for the ride.


Al and I head up the first long climb together...


It wasn't long after that he looked like this. (Hint: The little dot waaaaay up the hill is Al. The person waaaay back holding the camera is me.)

Overall I am feeling much stronger climbing. I am not setting any land speed records, but I feel like I can climb just about anything.

There was not much shade cover and it got a little warm, but my new Neutrogena S
PF 70 sunblock seemed to protect me pretty well and I got away with minimal redness. Unlike Rage, where I burned so bad, I was branded with my race number for a week. Apparently, magic marker has A LOT of SPF, as the race number practically glowed white surrounded by bright red. My students thought it was HILARIOUS and referred to me as "Ms. 581."

Horses sunbathing on the side of the road.


Climbing in the full sun while taking a self-portrait. Mad skillz!

All in all, it was a great ride and when we got back Roberta treated everyone to a delicious Mexican buffet.
My ride buddy, Al and I after lunch.

Sunday Long Run - The long anticipated threesome at Garin!

I was invited by the lovely Jo Lynn to join her and her adorable Boomer on a trail run early Mother's Day morning. How could I say no?

Damn dog never stops moving. This is the best shot I got, but I had to put it in because he is absolutely A-DOR-A-BLE!!

Let me start this report with some more Blogland truth:

Jo Lynn often reports that she is slow. Jo Lynn is NOT slow. She, in fact, joins the ever lengthening RBR list of Big Fat Blog Liars.

My picture is sucks and is all blurry, but it has that "Cybil Shepherd Vaseline lens" effect that a woman of my age and sun exposure appreciates.


Here is Jo Lynn's much clearer and much more historically accurate picture. I look like I am suffering, and I am.

Now, we had planned to do 10 miles, however, after about a tenth of a mile I was hoping that Jo Lynn, our little trail bunny, would have forgotten that minor detail. She is incredibly hot, so she must be stupid right? WRONG. Damn it! Why do I keep meeting these smart AND beautiful women?

She kept trotting along like we were on a Sunday stroll while I huffed and puffed next to her intermittently stopping to check the side of the trail for my expelled lungs.

In my defense, I present Exhibit A:

Elevation profile for our run. Total 1900' ft of climb

We did get to see some of my beloved cows up close: In honor of Carolina John who shares in my bovine love (not as creepy as it sounds) but did not have his camera on his last time out (again, not as creepy as it sounds):

This big boy could have cared less as we ran right by him.

It was a great run and we had a blast even if my bootay was seriously screamin' from those hills. And if the lovely, trail bunny will have me, we will definitely be running together again soon!

17 comments:

Diana said...

Thank God you said the horses were sunbathing...I thought you took a pic of dead horses at first!
Nice report..as usual, I think I "larted" a few times!

Southbaygirl said...

NOOOOOOOOO...you can't run again without me! I feel like friend fodder!! Am I whining? I WANT TO RUN TRAILS WITH YOU AND JO LYNN! there i've said my peace!

I hope you two had fun! I can't believe it!!!

Calyx Meredith said...

Hey - I want to run trails with you and Jo Lynn and Southbay Girl!!! Dammit - why hasn't someone invented that instantaneous transport device yet so we can be there?? Of course - looking at those climbs I'm thinking I would be WALKING where you are biking and running. Great job going long this weekend!

SWTrigal said...

Very very cool ride! I love cows to BTW..did not know it had a name!

Unknown said...

Great job this weekend. So you did that ride and the trail run back-to-back?!? You are a MA-chine!

ShirleyPerly said...

Ha, I would've thought that TNT ride would have a lot of slow folks too. Will note that for the future!

And, yes, I thought those horses looked dead too at first. Didn't know they did that. You are awesome with that camera on a bike!!

Jo Lynn said...

Oh, PLEASE! I am too slow. It's only because you rode those killer 84 miles Saturday and I know Garin like the back of my hand.

Can't wait for the next time we can run together. ;)

Aileen said...

Thanks for the horses! I can't believe you can ride a bike for SIX HOURS!!!! I doubt I could handle it for one hour.

Please use the term "asshat" whenever possible. I feel that it has multiple uses ass there are many different types of asshats out there.

Formulaic said...

Nice job!

Way to go on the 84 miles.

Those horses look dead. Are you sure their just 'sunbathing'?

Aron said...

alright so I will have to be joining you ladies one of these days :) Jo Lynn is going to take me out to test out trails this summer!

JenZen said...

A trail run sounds like fun - AND you did it after that bike ride? WOW!!

RoadBunner said...

Sounds like you're doing awesome with your IM training!

I love that photo of the horses. I have never seen so many horses flat on their sides at once before! Isn't that against herd-etiquette or something? They say happy cows live in CA, must be true of horses, too.

Yes, we will have to meet up before/during/ or after the SFM!!

And I'd still love to come down and explore some trails!!

Lindsay said...

i'm getting used to feeling inadequate in comparison to you. it's ok though - you totally rock everything! i wish i could join you on all of your workouts. 'til you dropped me anyway.

i, too, thought those horses were dead and i guess i have the mentality of one of your students 'cause i thought ms 581 was funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice job! Ok I thought those were dead horses, mine never lay down like that. lol

Congrats on sticking with it!

IronWaddler said...

You always make me laugh and I would give anything to ride with you although I would be the one who could not keep up!

Stef0115 said...

Great pics and nice ride! You are really getting close now. You will rock CDA!

Ordinarylife said...

Well done!

I don't know how you manage to cycle and take photo's. It is just about all I can do to hang on with both hands! I am still working on the pedal and drink at the same time.

Very impressive