"...In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or
brilliance. They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."

~ Anonymous
(taken from Matt Erbele's, It Takes Time to Get Good)

Friday, June 20, 2008

The trail to Hell


Why I chose the only day this week with a high heat advisory to run a trail run is beyond me, but that is what I did today.

The Dastardly Duo (that is what I am calling my hideously ugly trail shoes) and I hit the trail in a new open space preserve (Fremont Older) that I have been wanting to check out.


Here is a quick run down:

1. I lost a water bottle somewhere early on and didn't realize it until mile 1. This means I only had 8 oz. of water on me. I decided to cut the run to 5 miles. Picture: My lost water bottle that had been run over by a car. I apparently lost it right after the port-a-potty top. Slick!

2. There was almost no shade cover until mile 2.5, which was my turn around point (remember, I have to do out and back with no turns or I get lost. It was soooo hard to leave that shade and head back to the full sun) Picture: No shortage of pretty views.


3. The run was a total of 5 miles, but I probably only ran 4 miles of it. Picture: Elevation chart for run.










4. The only real shade was in the first 1/4 mile. Picture: Aww, beautiful, sweet shade! Almost
back to my car.

Picture: Post run! Icing my knees in the back of my car.

5 comments:

E said...

What a scenic run!

Calyx Meredith said...

Oh poor smushed water bottle! And poor dehydrated RBR! Smart of you to alter your plan. Pretty pictures. (Of course the heat doesn't come through in translation. :D)

And you're racing this weekend!! Are you nervous, excited, cool as a cucumber able to treat it as training? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

ShirleyPerly said...

Man, you sure can pick 'em! That looks like a killer trail. Just saw on Calyx' blog that you're racing tomorrow. Now I see it on your race schedule -- GOOD LUCK!!

Stef0115 said...

Good luck in the race!!! Go get em can't wait to read about it!

Angela said...

But you sure look cute in your picture.